Local, State, and Federal Government

Yale GSA seeks to foster an informed citizenry and to encourage meaningful civic engagement. The state of Connecticut is governed by a bicameral General Assembly as well as a Governor. At the federal level, like all states, Connecticut has two senators and the city of New Haven has one representative. A mayor and city council, called the Board of Alders, manage affairs for The City of New Haven. Each alder represents one ward or community. The best way to get involved in your community is through community management meetings, where you can meet your neighbors, learn about their concerns, and contribute to community problem solving. 

Federal Representation


Representative (CT-03)

Richard Blumenthal(D)
(203) 330-0598
Chris Murphy (D)
(860) 549-8463
Rosa DeLauro (D)
(203) 562-3718

State Representation


State Senators

Ned Lamont

Gary Winfield (10th District)
(860)-240-0475 @10SDDem
Martin Looney (11th District)

To find your state representative, follow this link!

New Haven City Government


In the United States and the State of Connecticut, only legal American citizens can vote in local, state, or federal elections. College students who are citizens have the option of registering to vote in the state of Connecticut or may have the option of retaining their voter registration in their home state. To find out if you are eligible to vote in the State of Connecticut, learn about upcoming elections, or register to vote online, visit the Secretary of State’s website.