Please fill out each form entirely, as only completed applications can be considered.
A completed application package must include the following:
- Completed CTF Application Form (with all questions answered)
- Abstract (maximum of one page submitted through the application)
- Letter of acceptance from conference organizers (submitted through the application)
- Letter of Recommendation (completed separately by advisor/DGS/PI using online survey).
PLEASE DO NOT include CVs, conference programs, a copy of the paper or poster to be presented, bibliographies and other materials that are not items 1-3 as listed above.
Applicants will be penalized for grossly overestimating their conference costs.
Submission Dates and Information
See the main CTF page for the current application dates.
You are able to apply for funding through the CTF when you can provide a completed application, and it is within 1 year of the conference occurring. You can also appy for funding within 1 year of attending the conference.
You are allowed to have an application for a given conference reviewed by the CTF committee twice. If your CTF application is deemed ineligible during this cycle (see below) you are still eligible to apply in the future, but you will have to submit a new application package. Please retain a digital copy of your application for your records prior to submission. We cannot return applications.
Amount of Funding
The maximum award to one application is $1000. Most requests, however, are funded below this level.
There are several stages to the CTF selection process.
- Applications are collected with Qualtrics survey software.
- All applications received by the CTF Director are reviewed for their eligibility.
- Selection Committee members are chosen. These members are volunteers from the Graduate Student Assembly and can serve only two consecutive terms. (GSA Representatives who are applying for a CTF cannot serve on the Selection Committee. The CTF Director does not serve on the Selection Committee.)
- Since the review process is not anonymous, the Selection Committee members will identify any applications that may present a conflict of interest in the review process. The applications identified as potential conflicts of interest will be not be reviewed by the members of the committee with the conflict.
- Applications are divided amongst the Selection Committee members for evaluation.
- The CTF Director and the Selection Committee members discuss general selection guidelines and ethical procedures for conducting an unbiased, peer-reviewed process.
- After a thorough review of the applications, the Selection Committee will meet to review all eligible applications. The Selection Committees will prioritize applications for funding based on the following criteria:
- Importance of the conference travel and presentation for the applicant's intellectual, academic and professional development. Selection committees will assess this criterion by reviewing the applicant's and advisor's statements in the application package.
- The financial need of the applicant. Reviewers will determine financial need by reviewing the applicant-submitted budget information. Applicants who do not have access to funding from their department or advisor will be given priority.
- The submission of accurate and complete budget information. Selection Committees will then award money to applicants based on their priority, the total amount of money available, and the number of applications received.Selection Committee members submit list of recipients to the CTF Director.
- All applicants are notified about the Selection Committee’s decisions.
- A representative from the Dean’s Office examines files to determine eligibility (the student is currently registered as a graduate student).
- A list of recipients is sent to the Financial Aid Office which processes the funds to CTF recipients, but only occurs after the applicant has returned from the conference and submitted a conference report to the CTF Director.
- The CTF Director provides a summary to the Graduate Student Assembly.
Disbursal of Funds
All CTF awards are disbursed through the Graduate School Office of Financial Aid. The GSA does not handle financial transactions.
Responsibility of CTF Recipients
By accepting money from the CTF, a recipient agrees that the money will be used solely for the conference indicated on the original CTF application form.
If there are any changes to the recipient’s plans to attend the conference, the recipient agrees to immediately notify the CTF Director in order to review the particulars of the case.
If a recipient no longer needs the full amount of their CTF award, the recipient agrees to notify the CTF Director of the amount that is actually necessary based on the actual money spent.
Notification and Publicity
Applicants will receive notification from the GSA via email.
The GSA will post the following information on the GSA website: list of recipients, conference attended, and the title of paper or poster.
The amount awarded to a recipient will not be made public.
The collection of applications will occur through the Qualtrics survey software online. More specific instructions on how to fill out an application and submit it can be found in the CTF Instructions for Students.
It is recommended that you prepare your answers to the questions before beginning the application, as you cannot save the application and return to it later.
All questions requiring a file to be uploaded should be uploaded as a PDF (.pdf). In addition the file names should be named using the following conventions: Firstname_Lastname_acceptance.pdf for the conference acceptance letter and Firstname_Lastname_abstract.pdf for the abstract to be presented.
Questions and Contact Information
Please take a look at the CTF FAQ page.
For further information, please contact the CTF Director, Kevin Regan at email@example.com.