Academics and Professional Development
The Academics and Professional Development Committee is one of the GSA's three standing committees. We focus on issues pertaining to teaching, mentoring, professional development, international students, master's students, and the libraries. For our meeting times and locations, please check the GSA calendar.
Our current projects include:
- Seeking the creation of a committee to review graduate student teaching needs across the entire GSAS and to assess how these needs are met across departments and divisions,
- Helping graduate students find teaching positions in and after their teaching years,
- Seeking guaranteed teaching and funding for PhD students in their 6th year,
- Advocating professional development, including the development of mentoring skills,
- Following up on and discussing the reports "Improving Graduate Education at Yale" and "Best Practices in Yale Graduate Programs" that have been issued by Tom Pollard, Dean of the Graduate School, in August 2011,
- Enhancing the visibility and the perception of the Graduate Mentor Award.
Reports from our latest committee meeting is available here.
Archived minutes from 2013-2014 meetings can be found here.
If you have any questions or would like to get involved, please email the committee chair for the 2014 Spring semester, William Gray.
The following advocacy positions are also part of our committee:
- The Graduate Student Assembly's delegate to the University Library Committee: Mark Rodgers
- The Graduate Teaching Center advocate: Ryan Hall
- The Graduate Career Services advocate: Helen Rankin
- The Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity advocate: Nazanin Sullivan
If you have any questions or concerns related to the University Library Committee or any of the above Graduate School offices, please email the responsible GSA representative directly.
Reports from our committee meetings for the academic year 2012-2013 are available here.
Reports from our committee meetings for the academic year 2011-2012 are available here.
|2013 09 11 APD Minutes.docx||129.95 KB|
|2013 09 25 APD Minutes.docx||107 KB|
|2013 09 25 APD Minutes.pdf||60.79 KB|
|2014_01_22_APD Minutes.docx||107.44 KB|
|2014_02_05_APD Minutes.doc||61.5 KB|
|2014_02_19_APD Minutes.docx||109.51 KB|